Sunday 21 April 2019

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing ... But Are Responsible For A Lot Of People Having A Good Time

I had not intention of blogging this gig, but ....

I met with a great guy John , bassist with Urban Commandos, who had never seen The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing (who I will refer to as The Men for the rest of the post), caught up briefly with Daniel Dunlavey main man of Impossible Gears and not for the first time wanted to see the support act Louise Distras.

There's a few short videos on my Instagram Channel around here

So here goes, it was a great night.

Louise Distras:



Louise is from Yorkshire (Wakefield) and I had heard a couple of songs from here excellent "Street Revolution" EP, the first of which was "Poor Man" (How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?) originally composed by Blind Alfred Reed in 1929 (Louise told me about this)  which I had first heard from a Ry Cooder live album although it appeared on his 1970 eponymous album and I got into him when "Bop Til You Drop" (the first ever digital recorded mainstream rock album) came out, but I digress.

She came on stage unannounced and her voice and guitar just signifies extreme presence, she engaged with the crowd and got them singing , stamping and clapping on cue. She played for thirty five minutes and played "Poor Man" and then Solidarity" which is a mash up of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" and Little Steven's "Solidarity", and apparently Little Steven was most impressed with it. Louise's  song is absolutely excellent  although I had bought the eP before she started.

I chatted with her after (although didn't recognise her at first as I started say how excellent Louise Distras had been). She is someone I definitely need to listen to more and if you do get the chance to see her, just do it.

Also she is friends with Ryan Harvey who I featured in my last Woody Guthrie post on SevenDaysIn here.

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing:



The Men. Simply came on being them selves and rabble roused the crowd. They are just a totally amazing live experience combining mental , comic timing , banter , great musicianship and funny comedy with a social conscience as well as teaching you a bit of history. As I have previously said as sort of cross between Anthrax and Chas 'n' Dave with some Music Hall and Stand Up Comedy and Social Commentary thrown in. The night just flies by and your mood is always enhanced by seeing them, they are far better live than on record, in my opinion, but you cannot bottle the magic they bring to the stage. This was the final gig of their tenth Anniversary tour but they can go on for many more decades in my humble opinion.

Another great gig and looking forward to next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll publish as soon as I can , thanks for commenting